Monday, January 9, 2012

Good, solid sleep!

I'm happy to report that the first change I made in the pre-detox protocol was to replace my generic magnesium supplement with an elemental magnesium tablet that also contains calcium and zinc.

2001 ice-skating with my daughter
On a whim, I decided NOT to take a sleep aid that night.  I haven't taken one since and I'm sleeping soundly.  This makes me very happy since, like many others,  I have had difficulty with sleep as I've gotten older.

As we age, sleep can become more and more elusive.  Although I could place the blame entirely on my thyroid it's not the only culprit.  My sleep problems were likely a team effort of hypothyroidism, hormonal imbalance, lack of exercise, poor sleep hygiene, too much caffeine, back pain, and stress.

2007 At my son's wedding.
Maybe my lack of sleep caused me to get fat.  I've included a couple pictures of me - one before the thyroid issues started and a picture of me in September 2007 when thyroid and stress were impacting me most.

I attempted to improve my sleep hygiene, cut back on caffeine and bought a new temperpedic bed.   My sleep improved quite a bit until the last couple years, when my thyroid and racing heart would wake me.  Not an easy thing to go back to sleep afterward!

A couple of months ago, my insomnia got so bad I even resorted to taking the sleep aid ambien.   I was finally able to get a good night of sleep, even though I felt a bit groggy in the morning.   The idea of being dependent on a drug to get to sleep just didn't feel right but good sleep was important and nothing else seemed to work.

With the new magnesium supplement I am sleeping soundly and waking refreshed.  Tonight I will add the selenium and see if anything changes.

The new supplement is made by Bluebonnet and contains elemental sources of the following:
Calcium (1000 mg)
Magnesium (400 mg)
Zinc (15 mg)
Copper (1 mg)
Boron (100 mcg)


There isn't too much else going on yet, since I'm adding new supplements in one at a time.  Being able to get a good nights sleep is an unexpected and very welcome change!  24 days to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment